Thursday, November 11, 2010

Why we Celebrate Veterans Day

Veterans Day was originally called Armistice Day. It became a U.S. holiday to celebrate the end of the "War to End all Wars," later known as World War I, at the end of the war on November 11, 1918. In 1938, congress passed legislation making November 11 a day "dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be hereafter celebrated and known as 'Armistice Day.'" In honor of this day, U.S. citizens took the opportunity to honor World War I veterans.

After World War II and the Korean War, veterans services organizations urged the 83rd U.S. Congress in 1954 to change the holiday to Veterans Day in honor of (not in memory of) all Veterans. On June 1, 1954, Nov. 11 became a day to honor American veterans of all wars.

The difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day is simple. Memorial Day honors our fallen. Veterans Day honors those who survived and those who are still serving. So in honor of this great holiday, I'd like to thank all U.S. military personnel for the great sacrifice to this country.

Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lilly,
    Very interesting how that all came about. I remember my mom calling it "Armistice Day" and it was that way on the calendar when I was a little girl--I was born in 1957--so I guess it took a while for everyone to change it to "Veterans Day" instead. A big thanks to all our vets!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Cheryl. BTW, I vaguely remember my grandmother calling it Armistice Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my mother calling this holiday Armistice Day. Whatever we call the day, I am so proud of each and every Veteran and each soldier fighting for us today.

    ReplyDelete